MARCH MADNESS DUATHLON
Central Park - Sunday, April 2, 2017 -
Start - 8:00 am
ABSOLUTELY NO PARTS OF ENTRY FEES WILL BE REFUNDED, TRANSFERRED OR CREDITED.
$65 - before February 2, 2017
$75 - before March 2, 2017
$85 - before April 2, 2017*
$90 - Race Day (No T-shirts to race day entries)
* On-line entry ends Thursday, March 30 at 5:00 pm!!.
After on-line entry closes, you can only register IN PERSON.at the Boathouse parking lot on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning (see times below).
- No credit cards accepted on Saturday or Sunday. .
FIELD: Limited to first 500 competitors.
IMPORTANT: Approximately 4-5 days before the event, you will receive an email notifying you of your race bib number.
If you arrive at check in and do not know your number in advance, you may look it up on the alphabetical list posted near the registration tables.
Do not get in line for check in if you do not know your race number and have photo ID!
New York Triathlon - NYTRI has staged over 600 multi-sport events and is proud to claim the best safety record in the country. The following rules and regulations have been designed for your personal safety and enjoyment. Failure to comply with these rules will result in penalties and/or disqualification.
-. Competitors must be familiar with the Competitive Rules of USA Triathlon and must conduct themselves accordingly.
- Race management has authority to change race course and format, check-in and start times.
- No entrants under 18 years of age.
- It is the contestant's responsibility to be familiar with and follow the race course.
- It is prohibited to sell your race number or for someone to compete in your place.
Pre-Race Day - Saturday
4:30-6:00 p.m. - Optional packet pick-up on Saturday will take place in the parking lot in front of the Central Park Boathouse (74th Street & East Drive)..
Only competitors may pick up their numbers in person with photo ID. You may not pick up a bib number for anyone else.
Race Day - Sunday (read "Upon Arrival" below)
6:30 - 7:30 am. - Check-in, Boathouse parking lot. New entries accepted!
** No race packets saved after 7:30 am **
7:45 am. - Pre-race announcements
8:00 am. - Race Start - Rain, snow or shine.
10:00 am. - Course officially closes, refreshments, awards presentation.
UPON ARRIVAL: Know your race/bib number and have your ID ready!
1. Before getting on line to receive your race packet, put your bike on the bike rack that corresponds to your bib/race number.
2. Proceed to the check in line that corresponds to your race number.
** Do not bring your bike to the check in line.
AWARDS: 1st, 2nd, 3rd overall and in 5-year groups; 18-70+ (men), 18-60+ (women).
RUN: The 2.2 mile run starts on East Drive at 74th Street, goes north to a turn around point at 96th Street (on East Drive) and back along the same route to the transition area. The turn point is indicated by a "U-Turn" sign affixed to the top of a large cone. Runners must stay to the left side of the runner's lane (both out and back), as indicated by the "Runners Stay Left" signs affixed to cones along the run course. The second run is identical to the first.
You must wear the run number on your front, and be clearly visible to race officials at ALL times. Folding of race numbers is prohibited.
BIKE: The bike course (12 mi.) consists of two (6 mile) loops of Central Park in a counter-clockwise direction. Bikers must stay in the middle and right lanes at ALL times and may not enter the runners (left) lane under ANY circumstances!
CENTRAL PARK ALERT! The course is only closed to cars (except for official vehicles) but NOT to pedestrians, joggers, cyclists, skaters, etc. While biking, competitors must be aware and considerate of non-competitors who will also be sharing the Park roads with competitors. You do not have right of way or priority over other users of Central Park because you are competing in this event.
- Each contestant is individually responsible for repair and maintenance of their bike.
· Contestants must follow instructions of race officials and public authorities and must obey all traffic laws.
· Contestants must ride in designated lanes at all times.
- Bikes are not allowed inside the Boathouse and must be left in the transition area.
TRANSITION AREA: In order to protect your bike and equipment, please make sure that only competitors are in the transition area. No friends and/or family should accompany competitors inside the barriers. Bicycles must be properly placed on assigned racks corresponding to race number. NO riding in the transition area or past the "DISMOUNT" signs.
Bikes and equipment may be removed by competitors ONLY upon showing BOTH the run number and bike number to security personnel.
HELMETS: Penalties will be assessed if cycling helmets are not positively secured with chin strap BEFORE leaving the transition area. Riding without a hard-shellhelmet will result in immediate disqualification!
DRAFTING RULES: You must maintain a distance of THREE bike lengths from the bike in front of you! You may not be closer than this distance for any period exceeding 15 seconds. If you are, you will be assessed a two minute penalty for each infraction.
Riding in a Pack/Drafting is a Serious Violation of the Rules of the Event! If another competitor is drafting you, yell to him to STOP DRAFTING! If you wish to file an official complaint regarding drafters, you must record their race number. A competitor who has three drafting reports filed by other competitors will automatically receive a two minute penalty.
RACE NUMBERS/ELECTRONIC TIMING:
You cannot use any chip other than the one that is assigned to you on the morning of the race. Wearing any other chip or wearing multiple chips could lead to errors in overall timing and your disqualification.
If you enter the transition area or cross the finish line and your number is not clearly visible on your FRONT, you will be receive a 2 minute penalty.
The 2-sided vinyl (adhesive-backed) bike frame number must be attached to the front of the top tube of your bicycle and for security reasons may not be removed until you leave the leave the transition area.
Check the label affixed to the timing tag (on the front of your bib number) for correct information regarding your name, age, sex and category.
Notify officials prior to the race of any mistakes!=========================================================
POST-RACE: Awards winners must be present at the post-race awards ceremony to receive their prize. No exceptions! Refreshments are for competitors ONLY! Please wear your race number when entering the buffet line.
RESTROOMS: Restrooms are located to the left of the main entrance to the Boathouse.
RESULTS: Results will be posted on our web site www.NYTRI.org.
PARKING: Central Park is closed to all vehicular traffic on weekends. Parking can be found outside the Park on the East and West Sides. The closest Park entrance to the start of the race is at 72nd Street and 5th Avenue.
RACE VIOLATIONS AND PENALTIES
2 Minute Penalties
- Riding in/out of transition area.
- Entering/exiting transition area under, over, or between barriers.
- Bicycle not on assigned bike rack or racked incorrectly.
- Drafting or "pack riding" violation.
- Race # not visible at ALL times while competing or in transition area.
- Unsecured helmet chin strap leaving or entering transition area.
- Verbal abuse of a volunteer or race official - No warnings will be issued!
- Riding in jogging/recreation lane (extreme left lane - marked off with double white line).
- Riding without an approved biking helmet.
- Wearing headphones during any portion of race.
HAVE A SAFE AND FUN RACE!