LAKE TAGHKANIC OLYMPIC TRI/DUATHLON
Sunday, September 7, 2014
Lake Taghkanic State Park, Columbia County, NY
TRIATHLON: Swim - 1.5 Km Bike - 40 Km. Run - 10 Km.
DUATHLON: Run - 5 Km Bike - 40 Km Run - 10 Km
Triathlon: $110 before July 7, $130 July 8 - August 7, $140 August 8 - September 6
Duathlon: $90 before July ,7, $110 July 8 - August 7, $120 August 8 - September 6
Race Day: Triathlon - $150 Duathlon - $130
Race day payments must be cash, money order or certified check.
Online entry ends on Thursday, September 4 at 5:00 p.m.!
New entries accepted in person on Saturday or Sunday (see below)
ABSOLUTELY NO PARTS OF ENTRY FEES WILL BE REFUNDED, TRANSFERRED OR CREDITED
FIELD: First 400 competitors (tri and du combined).
Triathlon : 1st, 2nd, 3rd overall and in 5-year age groups from 18 to 60+ (women), 70+ (men). 18-24, 25-29, 30-34, etc.
Duathlon : 1st, 2nd, 3rd overall and in 10-year age groups from 18 to 60+. 18-29, 30-39, etc..
RULES & REGULATIONS:
The following rules and regulations are designed for your personal safety and enjoyment. Failure to comply with these rules will result in penalties and/or disqualification.
· Race management has authority to change race course, format, check-in and start times.
· No entrants under 18 years of age.
· It is the contestant's responsibility to be familiar with and follow the race course.
· It is prohibited to sell your race number or for someone to compete in your place.
· Contestants must follow the directions of race officials who have ultimate and final authority to remove contestants who violate race rules.
· Friends, family or assistants may not bike or run alongside a contestant and should be warned to stay clear of contestants.
· Contestants are not allowed to wear headphones or earphones or any other sound device that impairs normal hearing!
IMPORTANT: NO NUMBERS WILL BE ISSUED WITHOUT PHOTO ID! .You must know your race bib number before getting in line for packet pick up.
Competitors will be sent an email 4-5 days prior to the event with their race bib number and a link for updated race information. If you do not receive an email before the event, you may look up your bib number on an alphabetical list that will be posted at check-in.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
PRE-RACE DAY - Saturday - Wheel And Heel, 2658 E. Main Street, Wappingers Falls, NY 12590. Tel: 845-632-3050
4:00 - 5:30 pm - Packet pick up (optional), NEW entries accepted.
RACE DAY - Sunday
6:15-7:30 a.m. - Check-in. Pick up race bag, timing chip, swim cap, swimmers get numbered, No race packets saved after 7:30 am!
7:45 a.m. - Final race instructions (mandatory)
8:00 a.m. - Race Start (rain or shine).
12:30 pm. - Course closes, Post race buffet, Awards presentation
VOLUNTEERS: Is there someone you know who'd be willing to volunteer while your competing? Call or email Deb at 845-632-3050 or firstname.lastname@example.org..
- The transition area will be set up in the parking lot at West Beach.
- Entry to the transition area is restricted to competitors with race numbers ONLY!.
- Please request family members and friends not to accompany you in the transition area.
- Bicycles must be placed on assigned bike racks.
- Bikes on wrong racks will be removed from the transition area.
- All competitors must be OUTSIDE the transition area before the first wave goes off!
SWIM COURSE: - Competitors must wear the official swim cap provided at check-in.-
- The 1.5K. swim will be around two (2) large triangular yellow buoys that will be set up parallel to the beach.. After completing the swim, competitors will run along the path that leads to the transition area.
- Swimmers may leave aqua socks or shoes near the beach for the run back to the transition area (approx. 100 yards).
- The swim will be in waves of 100 competitors at 3 minute intervals based on race number assigned; wave 1=1-100, wave 2=101-200, wave 3=301-400, etc., Your wave number will be printed on your bibnumber that you will pick up at check in.
- All swimmers will have BOTH their arms marked with their bib number.
- You must notify a race official IMMEDIATELY if you do not complete the swim.
- Wet suits are allowed.
The duathlon course is identical to the triathlon course with the swim being replaced by a 5K run. All competitors in the Duathlon will start at the same time as the first swim wave regardless of the bib number assigned.
The bike course consists of TWO (2) 12 mile loops around Lake Taghkanic State Park. Bikers leave transition and follow Park road to Rte. 82 (1.9 mi.). Right on to Rte. 82 and continue (downhill) to Rte. 11. Right on Rte. 11 (at fork) and continue on Rte. 8 to Rte. 15. Right on Rte. 15 and continue straight (for 3.3 miles) and then SHARP right on to Rte. 82. Stay on Rte. 82, go past entrance to Park (for the first time) and continue to bike an identical loop for the second time. After completing TWO loops, enter the park from Rte. 82 and return to transition area. State Park.
- Competitors must wear the official swim cap provided at check-in.-
- Each contestant is responsible to know and stay on the course at all times. If you are uncertain of the course, review the course description BEFORE the race.
- Each contestant is individually responsible for repair and maintenance of their bike.
· Contestants must follow instructions of race officials and public authorities and must obey all traffic laws.
- No recumbant bikes allowed.-
- To see a Map of the official Bike Course go to https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=514524168630561
You must maintain a distance of three bike lengths from the bike in front of you! You may not be closer than this distance for any period exceeding 15 seconds. If you are, you will be assessed a two minute penalty for each successive drafting violation.
Riding alongside another biker will also result in a two minute penalty.
-Bike numbers must be affixed to your bike at all times and must be clearly visible to race officials.
Note: Drafting (pack riding) is a Serious Violation of the Rules of the Event! You may file an official complaint regarding "drafters" by noting their race number(s)! A competitor who has three "drafting reports" filed against him/her will receive a two minute penalty for each infraction.
A bicycling helmet must be positively secured with chin strap before leaving the transition area. Riding without a helmet will result in immediate disqualification!
The 10K run course is on the paved roads around Lake Taghkanic State Park. There will be water stop at every 2 miles on the run course..
Award winners must be present at the post-race awards ceremony to claim their prize. Refreshments are for competitors only and are not provided for friends and family members. When entering the buffet line, identify yourself as a competitor by wearing your race number.
RACE NUMBERS/ELECTRONIC TIMING:
On the morning of the race, you will pick up an electronic timing chip that corresponds to your assigned bib number. This chip must be attached with a velcro strap to your ankle.and must remain attached throughout the entire event.
Immediately after you cross the finish line you must remove the chip and drop it in the collection bin at the end of the timing chute.
Your bib number must be attached to the FRONT of your shirt (or race belt) during the entire race .
The 2-sided vinyl (adhesive-backed) bike frame number must be attached to the front of the top tube of your bicycle and may not be removed until you lexit the transition area.
Check the label affixed to your bib number for correct information regarding your name, age, sex and category.
Notify officials prior to the race of any mistakes!
RESULTS: Results will be posted on www.NYTRI.org
PARKING: All competitors must park in the designated parking areas at West Beach. Competitors will not be allowed to leave the parking area until the last biker returns to the transition area.
HOW TO GET THERE:
Lake Taghkanic Stste Park is located off of the Taconic State Parkway , one mile south of the Hudson/Ancram Exit (Rte. 82) in Columbia County..
RACE VIOLATIONS & PENALTIES
2 Minute Penalties
- Riding bicycle anywhere within transition area.
- Bicycle not on assigned bike rack.
- Each drafting or "side-by-side" biking violation
- Riding without an approved biking helmet.
- Wearing headphones, earphones, ipods, etc. during any portion of race.
HAVE A SAFE AND FUN RACE!