STATEN ISLAND TRI/DUATHLON
Sunday, August 10, 2014
Midland Beach, Staten Island
Tri: Swim-1/4 mi. Bike-12 mi. Run-3 mi.
Du: Run-1 mi. Bike-12 mi. Run-3 mi.
Online Entry Ends Thursday, August 7, at 5:00 pm!
Register in-person only Saturday or Sunday.
Triathlon: $65 before 5/10 $70 before 6/10 $80 before 7/10 $90 before 8/10
$100 Race Day*
Duathlon: $50 before 5/11 $55 before 6/11 $65 before 7/11 $75 before 8/11
$80 Race Day*
Triathlon Relay Team: $130 before July 10, $150 before 8/10, $160 Race Day
Duathlon Relay Team: $120 before July 10, $140 before 8/10, $150 Race Day
* No T-shirts to race day entries!
NO REFUNDS, TRANSFER OF FEES OR CREDITS TOWARDS OTHER EVENTS ONCE YOU HAVE ENTERED THIS EVENT!
FIELD: First 500 competitors (tri and du combined).
Triathlon: Top three overall and in 5-year age groups from 15 to 70+.
Duathlon: Top three overall and in 10-year age groups from 15 to 60+.
Staten Island Resident: First place Triathlon & Duathlon male/female finishers.
* No awards for Triathlon or Duathlon Relay Teams.
RULES AND REGULATIONS:
The following rules and regulations are designed for your personal safety and enjoyment. Failure to comply with these rules will result in penalties and/or disqualification.
- Race management has authority to change race course and format, check-in and start times at any time prior to the race.
- There is no rain date for this event.
- No entrants under 15 years of age.
- It is prohibited to sell your race number or for someone to compete in your place.
- Contestants must follow the directions of race officials who have ultimate and final authority to remove contestants who violate race rules.
- Friends, family or assistants may not bike or run alongside a contestant and should be warned to stay clear of contestants.
- Contestants are not allowed to wear headphones, earphones or any other sound device that impairs normal hearing!
IMPORTANT: NO NUMBERS WILL BE ISSUED WITHOUT PHOTO ID! You must know your race number before getting in line for race packet pick up. Competitors will be sent an email 4-5 days prior to the event with their race number and updated race information.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
PRE-RACE DAY - Saturday, Midland Beach, Ballfield #7 (opposite Greeley Ave.)
5:00 - 6:30 p.m. - Packet pick-up for pre-registered athletes (optional). New entries accepted.
RACE DAY - Sunday, Midland Beach, Ballfield 7 & 8 (opposite Greeley Ave.)
6:15 -7:30 a.m. - Check-in. New entries. NO Numbers/race packets saved after 7:30 am!
7:45 a.m. - Final race instructions (mandatory)
8:00 a.m. - Race Start (rain or shine).
9:15 am - Bike course closes!
10:15 a.m. - Refreshments, Awards presentation.
VOLUNTEERS: Is there someone you know who'd be willing to volunteer while your competing? Call Dan at 845-247-0271. Volunteers will receive a souvenir T-shirt and our sincere thanks!
TRANSITION AREA: The transition area will be set up in Ballfield #7 (opposite Greeley Ave.)
Entry to the transition area is restricted to competitors with race numbers ONLY!.
Please request family members and friends not to accompany you in the transition area.
Bicycles must be placed on assigned bike racks.
Bikes on wrong racks will be removed from the transition area.
All competitors, triathletes AND duathletes, must be OUTSIDE the transition area BEFORE the start of the race!
The 1/4 mile swim will take place parallel to the beach. Swimmers will exit the water near the jetty at Midland Avenue and will run across the beach to the transition area.
The swim will be in waves of 100 competitors at 3 minute intervals based on race number assigned;
wave 1=1-100, wave 2=101-200, wave 3=201-300, wave 4=301-400, wave 5=401-500.
- Competitors must wear the official swim cap provided at check-in.
- You must notify a race official IMMEDIATELY if you do not complete the swim. If you do not complete the entire swim course, must surrender your chip to a STAFF member.. You will be allowed to complete the event without a chip however your split times will not be recorded.
- Wet suits are allowed.
The bike course is on both sides of Fr. Capodanno Blvd, between Greeley Ave. and Sand Lane. Bikers will bike this loop (4 miles) three times for a total of 12 miles.
- If you do not start the 3rd (final) loop by 9:15 am you will asked to dismount and walk your bike back to the transition area. You must turn in your timing chip to the bike official.
- Each contestant is individually responsible for repair and maintenance of their bike.
- No recumbent bikes allowed.
DRAFTING RULES: You must maintain a distance of three bike lengths from the bike in front of you! You may not be closer than this distance for any period exceeding 15 seconds. If you are, you will be assessed a TWO minute penalty for each successive violation. Riding alongside another biker will also result in a 2 minute penalty.
Pack Riding/Drafting is a Serious Violation of the Rules of the Event! You can file an official complaint regarding "drafters" by noting their race number(s)! A competitor who has three "drafting reports" filed against him/her will receive a two minute penalty for each infraction.
HELMETS: A bicycling helmet must be positively secured with chin strap before leaving the transition area. Riding without a helmet will result in immediate disqualification!
The 3 mile run is out and back will starting on the promenade at Midland Beach and going east to SandsLane. .
The duathlon course is identical to the triathlon course with the 1/4 mile swim being replaced with a 1 mile run. Duathletes will start on the boardwalk opposite Lincoln Avenue and will run ½ mile before turning around and running back to the transition area,
POST-RACE: Award winners must be present at the post-race awards ceremony to claim their prize. Refreshments are for competitors only and are not provided for friends and family members. When entering the buffet line, identify yourself as a competitor by wearing your race number.
On the morning of the race, you will pick up an electronic timing chip that corresponds to your assigned bib number. This chip must be securely attached with the velcro strap provided and must remain attached throughout the entire event.
You cannot use any chip other than the one that is assigned to you on the morning of the race.
Immediately after you cross the finish line you must remove the chip and drop it in the collection bin at the end of the timing chute.
If you lose your chip during the race or fail to turn it in after you cross the finish line, you will be charged $105.
Your bib number must be attached to the FRONT of your shirt (or race belt) during the entire race .
The 2-sided vinyl (adhesive-backed) bike frame number must be attached to the front of the top tube of your bicycle and may not be removed until you exit the transition area.
Check the label affixed to your bib number for correct information regarding your name, age, sex and category.
Notify officials prior to the race of any mistakes!
RESULTS: Results will be posted on www.NYTRI.org
PARKING: All competitors must park in the parking lot 5A (across from Lincoln Avenue).
Access to the parking lot (reserved for competitors) will end at 7:30 am on Sunday, when the NYPD will "close" Father Capodanno Blvd. to all traffic.
No vehicles will be allowed out of the parking area (on to Fr. Capodanno Blvd.) until 10:00 am. Anyone wishing to leave before this time must park on the side streets leading to Fr. Capodanno Blvd.
HOW TO GET THERE:
From Brooklyn/Queens/Manhattan/Long Island: Take Varrazano Narrows Bridge, lower level, and stay to the extreme right as you approach the toll booths. Exit immediately after the toll booth on to ** Lilly Pond Ave. Lilly Pond Ave. runs in to Father Capodanno Blvd. Continue on Father Capodanno Blvd. for approximately 3.0 miles till the end of Father Capodanno Blvd. Make the turn at the end and pull in to first parking lot on right (parking lot 5A) opposite the beach.
From Goethels Bridge to Staten Island Expressway (#278) East to exit 15 (Lilly Pond Ave. - last exit in Staten Island). Follow from ** above.
From Outerbridge Crossing to West Shore Expressway (#278) East to exit 15 (Lilly Pond Ave. - last exit in Staten Island). Follow from ** above.
From Bayonne Bridge to Martin Luther King Expressway to the Staten Island Expressway (#278) to exit 15 (Lilly Pond Ave. - last exit in Staten Island). Follow from ** above.
Hilton Garden Inn, 1110 South Ave., Staten Island, 718-477-2400.
RACE VIOLATIONS & PENALTIES
2 Minute Penalties
- Riding bicycle anywhere within transition area.
- Bicycle not on assigned bike rack or racked incorrectly.
- Each drafting or "pack riding" violation.
- Accepting outside assistance or being paced by non-competitor.
- Race # not visible at any point during the bike or run.
- Unsecured helmet chin strap exiting/entering transition area.
- Riding without an approved biking helmet.
- Wearing headphones during any portion of race.
- Verbal abuse of any volunteer, official or staff or any other unsportsmanlike conduct (as determined by race officials).
HAVE A SAFE AND FUN RACE!