ONLINE ENTRY NOW CLOSED.
NEXT AVAILABLE TIME TO REGISTER IS SATURDAY OR SUNDAY IN PERSON ONLY.
SEE DETAILS BELOW
WEATHER UPDATE:: In the event of the chance of lightning during the swim portion of the Triathlon, the swim segment will be cancelled (for the SAFETY of the swimmers) and will be replaced with a 1 mile run (see Duathlon details below).
The Run and Bike segments will be held in the rain.. There is no rain date.
In Memory of Detective John Falcone
Sunday, June 21, 2015
Veterans Memorial Park
201 Gipsy Trail Road
Carmel, Putnam County, NY 10512
Triathlon: Swim - 0.25 mi. Bike - 14 mi. Run - 2.5 mi.
Duathlon: Run - 1 mi. Bike - 14 mi. Run - 2.5 mi.
Detective John Falcone was shot and killed after responding to a shots fired call on Main Street in Poughkeepsie on February, 18, 2011.
He was just a block away when he received the call and when he arrived on the scene he encountered a man holding a 3-year-old child and waving a gun. The suspect fled, still holding the child, with Officer Falcone in pursuit.
Detective Falcone was able to rescue the child from the man and handed the child to a bystander before engaging in a struggle with the suspect as other officers arrived at the scene. During the struggle Officer Falcone was fatally shot in the head before the man committed suicide.
The subject's wife was found in a nearby car with a fatal gunshot wound to the head.
Detective Falcone had served with the Poughkeepsie Police Department for 18 years.
Triathlon: Before April 21 - $70 April 22 - May 21 - $80 Before June 21 - $90
Duathlon: Before April 21 - $55 Before May 21 - $65 Before June 21 - $75
Race Day: Triathlon: $100, Duathlon: $80
* No T-shirts to race day entries
* No entrants under 18 years of age.
*No credit cards or personal checks on weekend of race !
Triathlon: 1st, 2nd, 3rd male/female overall and in 5-year age groups; 18-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49,50-54, 55-59, female 60+, male 60-64, 65-69, 70+.
Duathlon: 1st, 2nd, 3rd male/female overall and in 10-year age groups 18-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, female 60+, male 60-69, 70+
RULES & REGULATIONS:
The following rules and regulations are designed for your personal safety and enjoyment. Failure to comply with these rules will result in penalties and/or disqualification.
· Race management has authority to change race course and format, check-in and start times.
· No entrants under 18 years of age.
· It is the contestant's responsibility to be familiar with and follow the race course.
· It is prohibited to sell your race number or for someone to compete in your place.
· Contestants must follow the directions of race officials who have ultimate and final authority to remove contestants who violate race rules.
· Friends, family or assistants may not bike or run alongside a contestant and should be warned to stay clear of contestants.
· Contestants are not allowed to wear headphones, earphones or any other sound device that impairs normalhearing!
· No dogs (on or off leash) will be allowed in to the park on the day of the event!
IMPORTANT: NO NUMBERS WILL BE ISSUED WITHOUT PHOTO ID! You must know your race number before getting in line for race packet pick up. Competitors will be sent an email 5-6 days prior to the event with their race number and updated race information.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
Pre-Race Day - Saturday, Veterans Memorial Park, 201 Gipsy Trail Road, Carmel, NY 10512,
4:30 - 6:00 p.m. - Packet pick-up for pre-registered athletes (optional). New entries will be accpepted. Course familiarization.
Race Day - Sunday, Veterans Memorial Park, Carmel,Putnam County
6:00-7:30 a.m. - Check-in. NO Numbers/race packets saved after 7:30!
7:45 a.m. - Final race instructions (mandatory)
8:00 a.m. - Race Start(rain or shine).
10:00 a.m. - Course closes, Refreshments, Awards presentation.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! Is there someone you know who could help while you're competing? Call NEW YORK TRATHLON at 845-247-0271. Volunteers will receive a souvenir T-shirt and our sincere thanks!
- Entry to competitors with race numbers ONLY!
- Please request family members and friends not to accompany you in the transition area.
- Bicycles must be placed on assigned bike racks.
- Bikes on wrong racks will be removed from the transition area.
- All competitors must be OUTSIDE the transition area before the first wave goes off!
SWIM : The swim will take place in the lake at the Veterans Memorial Park.
The swim will be in waves of 50 competitorsat 3 minute intervals based on race number assigned:
wave 1=1-50, wave 2=51-100, wave 3=101-150, wave 4=151-200, etc..
Competitors must wear the official swim cap provided at check-in.
You must notify a race official IMMEDIATELY if you do not complete the swim.
Wet suits are allowed.
DUATHLON START: All duathlon competitors will start with the first wave of swimmers.
BIKE: The bike course of 14 miles starts at Veterans Memorial Park and goes south on Route41/Gypsy Trail Road to intersection with Route 301. Make right hand (sharp!) turn on to Route 301 and continue for 6 miles to Route 42/Farmers Mills Rd. Continue for another 6 miles and make (sharp!) right on to Gypsy Trail. Stay straight on Gipsy Trail Road (do not make right turn on to Smalley Corners Road) and continue 4 miles to Park entrance. SLOW down to make SHARP right hand turn in to Park.
CAUTION: When you make your right turn from Farmers Mills Rd./Rte. 42 you have a very STEEP downhill with many turns and blind driveways. SLOW - STEEP HILL signs are posted along this part of the bike course and road flares will make this part of the bike course very obvious. You must slow down wherever these signs (and others like them) appear on the bike course.
- It is your responsibility to know and stay on the course at all times.
- Each contestant is individually responsible for repair and maintenance of their bike.
- Contestants must follow instructions of race officials and public authorities and must obey all traffic laws.
DRAFTING RULES: You must maintain a distance of three bike lengths from the bike in front of you! You may not be closer than this distance for any period exceeding 15 seconds. If you are, you will be assessed a TWO minutepenalty for each successive violation. Riding alongside another biker will also result in a 2 minute penalty.
WARNING! Pack Riding/Drafting is a Serious Violation of the Rules of the Event!You can file an official complaint regarding "drafters" by noting their race number(s)! A competitor who has three "drafting reports" filed against him/her will receive a two minute penalty for each infraction.
HELMETS: A bicycling helmet must be positively secured with chin strap before leaving the transition area. Riding without a helmet will result in immediate disqualification!
RUN: The run course of 2.5 miles is out and back on Route 41/Gypsy Trail Road (from transition area to intersection of Routes 301 & 41).
NOTE: The roads throughout the run and bike course are OPEN to the normal flow of traffic. You must obey traffic rules at ALL times! While on the run course you MUST run WITH the direction of traffic and stay on the RIGHT side of the road at ALL times!
CONE DIRECTIONAL SYSTEM: All turns on the bike course are clearly marked with directional signs and a row of cones. Do not expect marshals and/or police personnel to point you in the right direction.
WATER STATIONS: There will be two water stops on the run:
- Exit of the transition area.
- turn of the run (1.25 miles from transition).
POST-RACE: Award winners must be present at the post-race awards ceremony to claim their prize.
Refreshments are for competitors only and are not provided for friends and family members. When entering the refreshments line, identify yourself as a competitor by wearing your race number.
RACE NUMBERS/ELECTRONIC TIMING:
On the morning of the race you will pick up an electronic timing chip that corresponds to your assigned bib number. This chip must be attached with a Velcro strap to your ankle and must remain attached throughout the entire event.
Upon crossing the finish line you must remove the chip and drop it in the collection bin located at the end of the timing chute.
If you lose your chip during the race or fail to turn it in after you cross the finish line, you will be charged $100 for the lost chip.
Your bib number must be attached to the FRONTof your shirt (or race belt) during the entire race. If you enter the transition area or cross the finish line and your number is not clearly visible on your FRONT, you will be receive a 2 minute penalty.
The 2-sided vinyl (adhesive-backed) bike frame number must be attached to the front of the top tube of your bicycle and for security reasons may not be removed until you exit the transition area.
IMPORTANT: Check the label affixed to your bib number for correct information regarding your name, age, sex, category (tri or du) and swim wave.
Notify officials prior to the race of any mistakes!
RESULTS: Results will be posted on the NYTRI web site www.NYTRI.org
PARKING: All competitors must park in the UPPER parking lot. After parking, proceed to the LOWER parking lot with your bicycle and racing gear for check in.
Note: No vehicles will be allowed in to the LOWER park to unload competitors, bicycles and/or equipment.
Do not park on any of the roads (Gipsy Trail Rd., Route 41 or Rt. 301) since they are part of the event course and must be free of parked vehicles. Violators will be ticketed and/or towed!
HOW TO GET THERE:
From Taconic Parkway:
- take exit Carmel/Cold Spring and follow Route 301 East for 10 miles
- turn left on to Gipsy Trail Road (last left turn before causeway across reservoir).
- follow Gipsy Trail Road for 1 mile and turn left into Park.
- Get off at exit 19(Carmel/Brewster, Route 312). Go to traffic light at intersection with Route 312 and make right on to Route 312 West (Carmel). Stay on Route 312 for 1.0 mile and make right on to Route 6 (Carmel) at traffic light. Stay on Route 6 (past McDonald's and Hannaford) and continue to traffic light where you will make a right turn (Route 52). Stay on Route 52 for 200 yards and make left on to Route 301 (Cold Spring). Go 1.2 miles and make right (immediately after crossing reservoir) on to Route 41/Gypsy Trail Road and go 1 mile to Veteran Memorial Park.
RACE VIOLATIONS & PENALTIES:
2 Minute Penalties
- Riding bicycle anywhere within transition area.
- Bicycle not on assigned bike rack or racked incorrectly.
- Entering/exiting transition area under/over/between barriers.
- Drafting or "pack riding" violation (each incident).
- Accepting outside assistance or being paced by non-competitor.
- Race # not visible at any point during the bike or run.
- Unsecured helmet chin strap exiting or entering transition area.
- Biking in the middle of the road and obstructing vehicular traffic.
- Riding without an approved biking helmet.
- Verbal abuse of any volunteer, official or staff or any other unsportsmanlike conduct.
- Wearing earphones, ipods, headphones or any other sound transmitting device during any portion of race.
HAVE A SAFE AND ENJOYABLE RACE